What is Pin Code?
- Full form of pin code is Postal Index Number. Some time people say PIN or PIN code.
- It is a systematically defined code location identification by indian postal administration. This code system or post office numbering or post code system is being used my government or non government organization for routing postal content. It was first used by India Post and the Indian postal administration. Pin code is a six digits long number.
When the Pin Code system started?
PIN Code system got started in the year 1972(on 15th August) by Shriram Bhikaji. Mr Shriram Bhikaji was an additional secretary under Union Ministry of Comm. India. The purpose of this coding system was to efficiently do the manual sorting and delivery of mail. As to avoid ambiguity of similar village/city names written in various languages by public.
What is the structure of PinCode System?
Six digit Pincode is a combination of various parameters.
- The very first digit represents the region code
- The first three digit represents sorting district. sorting district is located in the largest city of the state. One state can have multiple sorting district based on the amount of mails need to handled.
- The fourth digit is to represent route to delivery office( delivery office which is located in sorting district). if 4th digit is Zero then it means it is routed to the core area of the sorting district.
- The last two digits (5th and 6th digit) represent the delivery office code within the sorting district.
- Type of delivery office can be General Post Office (GPO), a Head Office (HO) / Sub Office (SO)
PinCode Region Code List
|Region code||State or Department|
|1||Chandigarh, Delhi, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir and Punjab|
|2||Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh|
|3||Dadra, Daman and Diu, Gujarat, Nagar Haveli and Rajasthan|
|4||Chhattisgarh, Goa, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra|
|5||Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Karnataka|
|6||Kerala, Lakshadweep, Puducherry and Tamil Nadu|
|7||Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Odisha, Sikkim, Tripura and West Bengal|
|8||Jharkhand and Bihar|
|9||Field post office (FPO) and Army Post office (APO)|